My mom used to make this stew all the time when I was a kid. I finally decided to have a go at the recipe myself and thought you might want to know how to make it too.
1 kg of veal, beef or pork with a bone
10 whole white peppers
1 bay leaf
1 bunch of dill
2 tbs butter
1-2 tbs of vinegar
1-2 tbs sugar
1 ts salt
0.5 ts ground white pepper
This is what you do
1. Put the meat in an oven proof pot. Add peppers, bay leaf and a few strands of dill. Save rest of the dill for later. Cover the meat with enough cold water and set on the stove to warm up. Pre-heat the oven to 80 degrees Celsius.
2. When the water is close to a boil, peel off the foam from top. Cover with lid and put it in the oven for ten hours (or overnight)
3. Take the pot out of the oven and let the meat cool down in the broth for an hour or two.
4. Take the meat out of the pot and remove the bone. Dice the meat and set it aside for later. Put the bones and rest of the scraps back into the pot.
5. Peel the and dice the carrot and the onion and put them in the pot Let it boil until you have half a liter of fluid left. Sieve the broth.
6. Melt the butter in a pan and mix the flour with it. Add the broth little by little while mixing it at the same time. Let it boil for ten minutes. Season the sauce with vinegar and sugar. Be sure to taste it before using all of the vinegar and sugar.
7. Chop the rest of the dill and add it and the meat to the pan and heat it up. Serve with potatoes and beets.
Hope you enjoyed!
With warm hugs and gentle thuds – Inkeri