I cooked something I’ve never cooked before yesterday. I made borscht soup and it was so much easier than I thought. I have no idea why I’ve even come up with the idea of it being somehow hard to do, but it was super-easy and it was super-delicious!
There are hundreds of different recipes on how to make it and which ingredients to use. Some recipes have carrots and potatoes in them and some will tell you to put sausages in it while others recommend smoked bacon. Some will want you to use red cabbage instead of white cabbage, and some even suggest you put tomatoes in it.
This is the recipe I used.
1 big red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbs vegetable oil
6 dl grated beets
200g white cabbage
approx. 1L beef stock
3 tbs red wine vinegar
400g minced beef
1 ts sugar
dash of black pepper
dash of chili powder
1 ts thyme
1 ts tarragon
This is what you should do:
1. Chop the onions and heat the vegetable oil in a pot. Sauté the onions until their tender. Fry the minced beef.
2. Add the grated beets and shredded cabbage.
3. Mix and sauté more for a little while then add the stock and vinegar. Add fried minced beef.
4. Add sugar, black pepper, chili powder, salt, thyme and tarragon.
5. Heat to boil and cook at a mild temperature for about 30 minutes.
6. check the taste and add spices if needed. You can also add more stock of it the soup is too thick.
7. Serve with smetana.
I was quite happy with myself for succeeding to make it so good on the first go. This is definitely something I will do again and again and everyone will know me as the woman who makes the best borscht soup in the neighborhood.
Have you ever done borscht soup? Have you ever tasted it? What is your favorite food?
With warm hugs and gentle thuds – Keri